The third study painting of Mt Shuksan in the series and it may be the worst yet, but it has some good things also.
For this third study I had some basic ideas of what I wanted to achieve.
- A change to the composition to improve my goal of depicting grand scale
- Colors similar to the photo but edited for better effect
- Use the previous study to learn from
- Simplify the shapes more, don’t work so hard on the details
- Softer edges
- Try a canvas size a bit more vertical
I got too detailed again. I’m finding it super challenging to keep everything simple. The next time this will be my priority. I may go overboard but I can always dial it back after I learn
What I can improve for the next painting.
- Simplify the mountain into one basic shape.
- Don’t rush the foreground because you spent so much time on the clouds and sky.
- Go back to a square canvas for the next one.
Here is what I like about this study
- The texture of the clouds and their softness is good.
- The gradation of sky and it’s values.
- The hits of yellow in the clouds.