So today I reviewed lots of information about John Singer Sargent and his painting methods.
There are a few points in many of the articles that have been repeated and I wrote these down. Hopefully during my painting session I can focus on each of these as a direction for learning.
- Do lots of sketches of your subject before starting the painting. Practice strokes for the painting and build composition through the sketches.
- Stand back from the painting and subject, compare each other from a distance.
- Accurately draw the masses before any details.
- Lots of paint, paint thickly.
- Simplify values
- Focus on half tones before extreme dark or light