Well, I figured out the oil panel thing tonight. My last painting was terrible because I didn’t know how to correctly apply the paint to a different surface.


My normal gesso primed canvases have a lot of texture to them and they absorb the paint a bit. These last two paintings are using an oil ground which both smooths out the texture of the canvas and lowers the amount of absorption a bit. The biggest issue I was having was trying to keep my bristle brushes from marking up the surface so much that it looked more like scraping then a brush stroke.


My solution was to use different brushes. I had a pile of synthetic sable brushes that I haven’t used in forever and as soon as I applied some paint with these it was like icing on a cake, smooth and silent. I’m kind of torn though. It takes a long time for these panels to dry and I will have to prime a bunch of panels and keep up the process so I can always have some drying while using the ones that have finished drying. It’s going to be a lot of work so I have to decide if its worth it.


The Setup



The Subject



  • Session: 420
  • Work: 398
  • Width: 12"
  • Height: 9"
  • Medium: Oil
  • Location: Interior Apartment
  • Art Time: 1
  • Creative Time:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Chris Beaven

I am an Artist and a programmer currently living in the amazing state of Washington. I have a passion for art, but I'm stubborn as hell with it. My day is complete only when I do some piece of art each day, no matter how small. "There was a dream that was Rome. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile."