The idea for tonight was to create a since of air in the painting, or begin to create it. The first thing I did was put a dark glaze over the entire painting and really push all the values down a few notches and soften up some edges.
After that I worked on the left side of the painting carefully laying in thick paint of the correct values while really trying to push the “airy” quality. I figured the best way to do this was to soften edges and bring some of the background values closer to the lighter areas of the object. I believe it started to work but I think I also made a mistake by working the background up so thickly. The thick paint has too much of a texture and is bringing the background forward and making the painting look flat. I will have to try and adjust that.