A beginning for the next painting currently only looks like a blank canvas.
I’m starting on the next painting which will be very similar to the one before. But, today’s session was full of distractions, good distractions.
I cheated a bit while drawing, I was on the phone talking with a good friend so my focus was almost zero. So I just used some digital means to get a quick drawing down on the canvas after preparing my paper and support.
I was basically tracing, but I plan to do my own drawing on the next session to make up for it. I usually employ digital means to double check my drawing for these long paintings anyways, but using a grid to draw without observation just feel like I’m short changing my growth.
Anyway, if you look hard you can see the drawing…
The plan for the next painting
- Establish an accurate contour drawing.
- Establish the major separation through light and dark on the figure in the drawing.
- With graphite review the turn of the forms through the body and provide some surface lines for guidance when painting.
- Start painting and establish the background first all in one session, painting a little over the figure in the process.
- Begin painting the figure starting on the place of major focus.
- Continue for multiple sessions slowly working through the body.