I was feeling really pressed for time today. Most days I don’t feel like I have enough time to do what I want. In the end, thanks to Pattie being very understanding, I was able to get a 2 hour figure study done plus all my other tasks.
I have to say that I’m really enjoying this method of painting the figure. The steps are simple and easy to follow.
- Draw the figure in burnt umber, take your time to get it right
- Map out the shadow areas with the umber, filling them in and refining the drawing
- Add in darker shadow values with umber so I have no more than three values in the shadow areas
- Mix a general skin tone and place it in the light area thinly and all over, one tone
- Begin breaking the light area down into it’s subsequent values, not too many though while at the same time looking for color changes
Somewhere int there I put in a wash over the background because the white canvas was making it hard for to judge the values in the figure.
I’m enjoying this so much that I may do a bunch more, not sure yet…