Today’s session was much better and I feel like this painting is now back on track. It is amazing how one simple change can make a big difference.
All I did was zoom into the image so I could see the models face better. Just being able to see the models head and face better made a huge difference. I didn’t even notice that I couldn’t see well. When I was painting yesterday I was confused and frustrated without knowing exactly why. Now that I think about it, I’m sure that was the issue at Gage Academy last week. I couldn’t see the model’s face well enough.
I’m not 100% convinced that this was the whole issue though, and I’m sure I will not paint like Rembrandt now that I can see my subject better, but it is a step closer. Just a little better every day, that is the point.