Sometimes, a start of a good painting doesn’t look so good. This is why it is so hard sometime to share what I do every day online. I guess it’s much better than sharing a finished painting that looks bad, but anyway, here is a painting that so far looks terrible but the still life setup looks great and I’m sure I can turn out a really nice looking painting after a few sessions.
I spent close to 1 hour setting up this still life after being influenced by one of the amazing still life paintings seen on our recent trip to Amsterdamn and the Rijksmuseum.
I love all the subtle values throughout the fabric in this still life setup by Willem Claesz Heda and I was trying to incorporate some of that with my still life setup. I was lucky enough to find some really nice fabric around the apartment I could use.
My Still Life Setup
I really like the composition here. I actually manipulated all the folds in the fabric to lead the eye to the class and pear. I’m going to have one heck of a time rendering that satin fabric but I’m sure I will learn a lot in the process.
I should have done thumbnails for every still life in the last two years. I guess I just didn’t think they mattered so much, but even after doing two thumbnails I really had a better understanding for exactly where I wanted the center of the composition placed.
Unfortunately the current stat of the painting is less than desired and after looking at these photos I’m very sure that I’m going to have to re-paint the whole thing, as the placement is not where I want it.